Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3rd Generation boxer engine released....  (Read 2915 times)
Tegareg
Members
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

Subaru AWD - All we'll drive!

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:14 pm »

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/23/subaru-debuts-third-generation-boxer-four-cylinder-engine/

I still say that they need to re-establish the link with Porsche....the possibilities would be endless!
Spec B
Spec B
Administrator
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 01:35:54 pm »

It seems as if Subaru has grown soft, as they seek to acquire more market share.

Love Cars With Quick Feet !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcYRpEIkVUs
Stig
I think I spend WAY too much time on this forum
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:43:48 pm »

Subaru has launched a third-generation version of its innovative boxer petrol engine. The new four-cylinder, direct-injection boxer unit is the first from Subaru's parent firm Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd in 21 years and will again be available in 2.0-litre and 2.5-litre forms. No official power figures have been quoted by Subaru, but economy in both displacements is improved by 10 per cent. The improvements have been made by revising the bore and stroke dimensions for optimised combustion and the use of use of lightweight, low friction internal parts including pistons and connector rods. The engine will initially be launched Subaru’s Forester model, but will find its way into other Subarus as well as Toyota’s FT-86 coupe.

The Subaru boxer engine is expected to be the FT-86’s core powertrain tuned to produce around 197bhp and will be mated to either a six-speed manual or CVT gearbox. The engine is also tipped to form the basis of Subaru’s hybrid powertrain, previewed in the firm’s innovative Hybrid Tourer Concept. In this concept the engine was mated to two electric motors – a 10kw one at the front and a 20kw one at the rear - powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. This hybrid powertrain is also said to be of interest to Toyota as it will offer a much more sporting driving experience for the rear-drive coupe, something its current hybrid powertrain cannot provide.

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/252958/

2004 WRX V-Ltd

266whp and 244wtq

Flashed with Ecutek

Tuned by Unabomber
Stig
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:47:25 pm »

This looks like an interesting engine. I see the valve-timing actuator is different on this engine. The setup at the front each cam look suspiciously similar to VVTL-i from Toyota. This being able to vary timing as well as lift will make tuning one of these engines quite interesting.

2004 WRX V-Ltd

266whp and 244wtq

Flashed with Ecutek

Tuned by Unabomber
Tegareg
Members
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:06 pm »

Where have I seen this before? whistle

Anyway I still say that they need to link back up with Porsche and get 220-230hp out of the NA version....
Then we talk.....
Stig
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:45 pm »

Where have I seen this before? whistle

Anyway I still say that they need to link back up with Porsche and get 220-230hp out of the NA version....
Then we talk.....

I don't think thats necessary. Toyota has enough experience with the 2ZZ and 1LR-GUE engines to know how to get that kind of power from an NA engine. I'm pretty sure they can apply some of their F1 expertise to this program as well. If Honda can get 220 from the K20, why you figure Toyota and Subaru can't?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:33:02 pm by Stig » Logged

2004 WRX V-Ltd

266whp and 244wtq

Flashed with Ecutek

Tuned by Unabomber
Tegareg
Members
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 10:58:34 am »

I don't think thats necessary. Toyota has enough experience with the 2ZZ and 1LR-GUE engines to know how to get that kind of power from an NA engine. I'm pretty sure they can apply some of their F1 expertise to this program as well. If Honda can get 220 from the K20, why you figure Toyota and Subaru can't?

Good point; i forgot about the LF-A and their former F1 program.....

Toyota's kinda on a low where their sports cars are concerned; they also believe in sales figures.
This is why they focus on hybrids, Corollas, the Camry and the trucks.

YOu're right; they do have the expertise.....but will they choose to use it?
That is the question.

I see great possibilities for the NA boxer...a 300HP, 6 cylinder Legacy or a 240hp 4 cylinder real wheel drive coupe...
200 flywheel hp is just not cutting it....
Stig
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »

Good point; i forgot about the LF-A and their former F1 program.....

Toyota's kinda on a low where their sports cars are concerned; they also believe in sales figures.
This is why they focus on hybrids, Corollas, the Camry and the trucks.

YOu're right; they do have the expertise.....but will they choose to use it?
That is the question.

I see great possibilities for the NA boxer...a 300HP, 6 cylinder Legacy or a 240hp 4 cylinder real wheel drive coupe...
200 flywheel hp is just not cutting it....

Don't say that yet pardy. If they can bring the car in under 2700 lbs fully fueled, that car would be exciting to drive. You also have to remember that Akio Toyoda agrees with us where Toyota's sporty image is concerned and is trying to change it. He has formed the Gazoo racing team and I think the G power brand has also launched in Japan. G power is supposed to be Toyota's answer to M, Quattro, and AMG, and will take their experiences from the different Gazoo racing programs and apply them to street cars.

I'm looking for good things from Toyota in the coming years, especially their interest in getting back into the WRC. Someone needs to take it to Citroen and Ford  Grin

2004 WRX V-Ltd

266whp and 244wtq

Flashed with Ecutek

Tuned by Unabomber
Tegareg
Members
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:44:25 pm »

Don't say that yet pardy. If they can bring the car in under 2700 lbs fully fueled, that car would be exciting to drive. You also have to remember that Akio Toyoda agrees with us where Toyota's sporty image is concerned and is trying to change it. He has formed the Gazoo racing team and I think the G power brand has also launched in Japan. G power is supposed to be Toyota's answer to M, Quattro, and AMG, and will take their experiences from the different Gazoo racing programs and apply them to street cars.

I'm looking for good things from Toyota in the coming years, especially their interest in getting back into the WRC. Someone needs to take it to Citroen and Ford  Grin

ok boss, i don't share your enthusiasm or optimism - but let's hope that you're right.

Agreed; WRC is a two manufacturer race - ideally I'd love for the six star to return.....but alas that's not gonna happen.

We'll only see a Subaru in the IRC.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: