Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2007 Legacy 4 turbo  (Read 2387 times)
acro
Subaru Plebe

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »

I'm thinking about getting one. I have been warned however that the engines are fragile and easily destroyed and need constant maintenance (every 3mths). I have also heard they are very thirsty at the pump. What are your thoughts
?
Spec B
Spec B
Administrator
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:26:50 pm »

Saw your inbox from wheels, I hardly visit that sight any more.  Smiley

First let's dispel that rumor of soft engines. The WRX, STi, Forester uses the same engine that's in the Legacy.
Secondly, the cars come dialed in with fuel specs from the varying markets,  namely Japan, and as such should be redialed (re tuned) for the lesser quality fuel provided locally. Just ask ATL or Toyota Jamaica about the Amarok & Prado engine issues due to poor fuel supplied locally.

(Would you consider a F1 engine tear down after each race a soft one? Fact is, performance car engines are subjected to higher levels of stress which do need more care.)

If memory serves me correct, the Legacy car documentation refers to service intervals of 5000KM or three months, which ever comes first. I personally do the three month which is an overkill, as I'm normally at 3000km, but that's just me. The grade oil is also a factor as climatic conditions vary; I use AmsOil 10-40 during cooler months & 20-50 during the scorching summer.
Just like Bolt, he gets thirsty for Gatorade after sprinting. If you stay off boost the gas consumption is very good.

By the way, I own two Leggies modified & have never had a need to repair an engine.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:47:23 pm by Spec B » Logged

Love Cars With Quick Feet !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcYRpEIkVUs
Tegareg
Members
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

Subaru AWD - All we'll drive!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:26:39 pm »

None of what you've been told is true for the majority of owners of these cars.

Knowing the history of your car, sticking to the maintenance schedule, familiarizing yourself with its specific requirements will go a long way in prolonging the life of the car.

Subarus are very specific in their requirements....do the research.
JASUBARU
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:13:35 pm »

From personal experience I found the Legacy engine to be rock solid. I took my stock block to over 300whp and upto 30lbs of boost without an issue. In facts there were a few instances where my air/fuel ratio leaned out and I thought the engine would blow and it didn't. You can look at my post entitled "My 300whp Legacy" or something like that. 

That being said, I would personally stay away from the Legacy wagons. I know two persons who owned turbo wagons and both seem to have had issues with the engine blowing more than once. I'm sure there are other Legacy wagons without problems, but that was just what I observed.
tweety
Executive Management Committee Member
Administrator
Subaru Rally Driver

"Live each day as if it's your last!!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:26 am »

None of what you've been told is true for the majority of owners of these cars.

Knowing the history of your car, sticking to the maintenance schedule, familiarizing yourself with its specific requirements will go a long way in prolonging the life of the car.

Subarus are very specific in their requirements....do the research.

Totally agree with you.  My Legacy going 160,000km and was tuned in July 2008 when I bought it and to date no engine trouble. *knock board*  yahoo yahoo

" Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those be well-tried before you give them your confidence. ADAPTED" Renewal of commitment needed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: