Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Police moving to prosecute motorists without original documents  (Read 2482 times)
tweety
Executive Management Committee Member
Administrator
Subaru Rally Driver

"Live each day as if it's your last!!"

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:54 pm »

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifestyle/car-papers_7517211

Police moving to prosecute motorists without original documents

AUTO

By Patrick Foster fosterp@jamaicaobserver.com

Friday, April 02, 2010

You're pulled over by the police and requested to present your driver's licence and documents for your car.

Then you remember your licence was left in the handbag you used yesterday. And the car papers? Those were in it as well.

The policeman promptly tells you that the car will be seized, as there is no proof of who you actually are, and who owns the vehicle.

Motorists are often uncertain about the correct procedure, under law, in respect to having documents for a vehicle and a drivers licence for presentation to the police.

"The policeman is correct," contended Superintendent Radcliffe Lewis, head of the Jamaica Constabulary Force traffic division.

Lewis said that that while there is a five-day allowance for motorists to present a drivers licence and certificate of fitness, a policeman can determine, on the spot, whether or not a vehicle will be seized.

"Once you don't have any documents the vehicle can be seized," Lewis emphasised, cautioning however that some amount of discretion should be exercised by the policeman.

He said that a motorist could be directed to contact someone to bring the papers to the scene, or the policeman may even accompany to driver to collect the documents, if feasible.

"It all depends ... I know that persons of reputation will comply," Lewis said of the five-day allowance. "Some people you cannot give them that opportunity or you will never see them again."

He further cautioned that when a motor vehicle is seized, both wrecker and storage fees are payable, even if the motorist's documents are proven to be in order.

Lewis however argued strongly that the five-day rule should be expunged from the books, calling it outdated and abused.

"The five-day [rule] is the law and we have to abide by it, but I am totally against it," said Lewis.

"That is for 100 years ago when the society was orderly and good, now things have changed," added Lewis, who charged that motorists were routinely falsifying drivers licences, insurance certificates and fitness certificates.

He said that original insurance and fitness certificates were being photocopied and dates and numbers changed on the copies, which were again photo copied to remove evidence of tampering. These, Lewis contended, were being carried in vehicles as true copies of the original.

Fake drivers licence made on computers, Lewis added, were being produced by unscrupulous persons and sold for $6,000.

The Traffic Division head charged that the main offenders were mini-bus and taxi drivers who, in some cases, possessed multiple motor vehicle plates and documents.

Against this background, Lewis said that his division was now moving to prosecute motorists driving without original documents.

He told Auto that the law actually requires that the original documents, not copies, are carried in a motor vehicle, but police over time, turned a blind eye to it.

"What I am doing now is reinforcing it because of all the criminality and 'bandooloism' now taking place," said Lewis.

A motorist failing to produce a driver's licence or insurance certificate is required to attend court, while the absence of a certificate of fitness attracts a $800 fine, Lewis explained.

" Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those be well-tried before you give them your confidence. ADAPTED" Renewal of commitment needed
waynef49
Members
Subaru Tarmac Terrorist

Me and my STi ;-)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:30:55 pm »

it came on the news this morning again,....unfortunately i was driving my fathers car with photo copied papers blush2,..i called my father who reassured me he has all the originals with him,...(dat cyaa help mi now) so i,m now scared s@*tless bad hoping to get home this evening without being pulled over at a spot check comando,...why ohh whyyy did,nt i just drive mi own cyar today?Huh??....imagine me and di cyaar get towed go a impound or whatever u call it Embarrassed,...uno better have money cum bail mi out later... Die While Laughing Roll On Floor Laughing

I will never sell my STi ......EVER!!!!!! ;-)
Stig
I think I spend WAY too much time on this forum
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:09 pm »

So they penalize you for not having the original documents in the car then they frustrate you to get replacement documents in the event they are lost, stolen (with the car), or destroyed. You can't win in this %#$@ country  angry2 angry2 angry2 angry2

2004 WRX V-Ltd

266whp and 244wtq

Flashed with Ecutek

Tuned by Unabomber
(((buRRRble-B4)))
Members
Subaru Rally Driver

"BeRrRy- BuRrRble"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »

Seriously tho,< this realy a gwann.?..because the only originals i carry are  the blue fitness and  the Insurance cert.. No Clue
(((buRRRble-B4)))
Members
Subaru Rally Driver

"BeRrRy- BuRrRble"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:36:24 pm »

Seriously tho,< this realy a gwann.?..because the only originals i carry are  the blue fitness and  the Insurance cert.. No Clue
i guess  its a fact..just read what Lewis said....
tweety
Administrator
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:08 pm »

It is a fact ........so take out those originals and keep a copy at home  patsak

" Be courteous to all, but intimate with few; and let those be well-tried before you give them your confidence. ADAPTED" Renewal of commitment needed
tweety
Administrator
Subaru Rally Driver

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:53:03 pm »

http://www.radiojamaica.com/content/view/26802/26/

No more photocopies of road licenses will be accepted

Thursday, 22 April 2010

With an increase in number of persons using photocopied motor vehicle documents, the Transport Authority (TA) is issuing a warning that only original road licences will be accepted.

The Transport Authority says during spot checks, its Inspectors and the police are being given photocopied road licences by public passenger vehicle operators and this will not continue.   

"The Transport Authority has increased its vigilance to ensure the legitimacy of road licences being used islandwide and consequently, we are reminding all public passenger vehicle operators that photocopies of road licences will not be accepted by TA inspectors and the police during spot checks," said Petra-Kene Williams, Communication Manager at the Transport Authority.

According to Miss Williams, some public passenger vehicle operators are even falsifying the photocopied documents.   

"We have observed an increase in the number of attempts by some unscrupulous individuals to falsify photocopies of their road licences. We are urging them not to do (as) this is illegal and persons found to be doing that will face the full effects of the law," she said.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: